Who says combs are just for your hair? Those who maintain a well-groomed beard know that a beard comb is the basic tool that is required for day-to-day grooming.
A beard comb makes it possible to line up the unruly and frizzy beard so that it can be styled properly. It also helps in cleaning the beard, untangling snags, preventing ingrown hair and facilitating the application of beard oils, balms and conditioners.
So, let’s check out some of the essential buying tips that should be taken into account while choosing a beard comb:
- Beard comb material – Beard combs are made of a variety of materials such as plastic, wood, metal, cellulose acetate. But it is best to stay away from cheap plastic combs that create static. Wood and cellulose acetate are better options.
- Teeth Width – Choose a beard comb with proper teeth width depending on the coarseness and thickness of your beard. Closely spaced teeth width is suitable for softer beards but wider spacing between the teeth is essential in case of thicker and coarser beard.
- Stamp Press/Hand Cut – Stamp press combs are cheap and made in large factory press but they have lower overall quality and poor finishing compared to hand cut combs that are made individually. The handmade combs are saw cut, buffed and polished to provide smooth combing.
List of Best Beard Combs 2018
In this post, we have created a list of the best beard combs in 2017 based on quality, functionality and price.
#1.Kent 81T Men’s Extra-Small Handmade Beard/Moustache Comb
The Kent 81T Men’s Extra-Small Handmade Beard/Moustache Comb is a superior-quality beard grooming product made from cellulose acetate and hand-buffed to smoothen the rough edges.
The hand-buffing improves the finishing of the comb and eliminates the tiny rough edges on the teeth that pull and tug at the beard while combing. The teeth are spaced close to each other so that they don’t miss a single hair.
The beard comb is manufactured in England by G.B. Kent & Sons Ltd that has been in the brush and comb manufacturing business since 1777.
Made from natural cellulose acetate, the comb is extremely sturdy and tough with an ergonomic design that makes it easy to hold and use.
Being an extra-small comb, it is highly portable and can be fit in the pocket or purse.
The Kent 81T is undoubtedly the best beard comb for short beard.
- Made of natural cellulose acetate
- Handmade quality
- Ideal for shorter beard
- Not suitable for longer beard
#2.Baxter of California Large Comb
The Baxter of California Beard Comb is one of the best beard combs 2016 that is handcrafted in Switzerland from high quality cellulose acetate sheets – a naturally occurring polymer that is derived from tree pulp and cotton.
Each and every Baxter of California beard comb undergoes a 12-step manufacturing process that ensures high-quality finishing with smoothly tapered teeth and rounded tips that offer optimum care and comfort.
The teeth have a variety of thick and thin arrangement that makes it suitable for all types of beard. The smooth design of the teeth allows the comb to glide through the beard hair without any pulls or tugs. The ergonomic grip of the comb makes it easy to grab.
It measures 7.75 inches and comes in a classic tortoise shell pattern.
- Varying tooth lengths
- Made of natural cellulose acetate
- Superior craftsmanship
- Suitable for all types of beard
- Surface can lose luster over time
#3.Kent 87T Brand New Limited Edition Folding Beard and Moustache Comb
The Kent 87T Comb is the best folding beard comb in the market that has a stylish design and great quality.
The Kent 87T is saw cut, hand-polished and buffed in order to create smooth and rounded teeth that don’t pull or tug on your beard while combing.
It is a compact folding comb that fits perfectly in the pocket or purse, so that you can carry it with you everywhere.
The well-rounded tips of the teeth stimulate the production of natural oils in the hair follicles that makes them shiny, smooth and strong and prevents tangles and split ends naturally.
- Made from cellulose acetate
- Hand-polished and buffed
- Folding comb
- Suitable for all types of beard
- Limited production
#4.Wild Wild Nest Beard Comb (Pocket Size)
This is definitely the best beard pocket comb that speaks for its premium craftsmanship, quality and performance.
This beard comb is made from real sandalwood and buffalo horn which gives a smooth feel, keeps static electricity at bay and renders a pleasant natural scent to the comb itself.
It features wide teeth on both sides of the body from more versatile styling. The smooth finish of the teeth prevents snags and pulls.
The wooden body ensures a solid grip in the hand and makes it easy to run through thick and tangled beard. It has a sturdy and durable build compared to plastic combs.
- Made of natural materials such as sandalwood and buffalo horn
- Ideal for longer beards
- Relatively small in size
- Teeth are spaced wide apart
#5.Leven Rose Wooden Beard and Moustache Comb
The Wooden Beard and Moustache comb from Leven Rose is one of the best wood beard combs that blend versatility and quality in one product.
The wood comb is made from 100% bamboo which makes it ideal for grooming and managing coarse beard hair. It features wide teeth, but the comb is still fine enough to cut out static and frizziness. It is the best comb for curly beard.
The smooth wooden teeth glide smoothly through thick and dense beard without any obstructions. Its curved design allows for a comfortable grip. Although, it is bigger than regular pocket combs, but it can fit comfortably in your pocket or bag.
- Made from bamboo
- Tames static and frizziness
- Ideal for dense and thick beard
- Not as useful for shorter and thinner beard
How to Comb Your Beard?
- Choosing the right teeth – The first and foremost task is to understand the texture and thickness of your beard and choose a beard comb with the right teeth so that it glides through your beard smoothly. It is also important to opt for a comb made from the right material. Plastic combs can cause annoying static and snags.
- Combing – The first comb of the day should be done after taking the shower, while the beard is still slightly wet. Hold the comb with the direction of the teeth upwards and start combing from the bottom of your beard, from the neck towards the chin and cheeks.
- Managing the snags – Your comb might hit snags while combing. Don’t tug and pull at the tangles. Stop combing, bring out your comb and slowly work through it. Be gentle in untangling the snag. You can apply some beard oil to detangle the snag more easily.
- Comb down – Once you have untangled all the snags, comb your beard downward from the cheeks towards the beck and style it the way you want.
So, now that you know how to select a quality beard comb and have the list of the best bead combs at your disposal, go ahead and choose a comb that meets your grooming requirements and start grooming and maintaining your beard the right way.